Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ashley Johns: An Amazing Transformation Story!

I was searching through Bodybuilding.com’s site one day in April 2010 and came across Ashley Johns’s Bodyspace page and was instantly inspired. She has done a complete 180 with her fitness lifestyle and her progress pictures were jaw-dropping! I’ve attached some for you to see.

I immediately reached out to Ashley just to express to her how inspired I was and to let her know she had done a great job. We became friends on Facebook and I continued picking her brain and getting to know her better. At the time, she had just become a personal trainer after leaving her job at a bank and it reminded me a lot of myself because that’s the route I want to take!

In just over the course of a year she’s made some pretty great achievements – she’s even graced the pages of Shape magazine!

I figured she’d be a wonderful person to feature on my blog so I interviewed her and she was more than willing to share her outstanding story. Read on to learn more about Ashley and how she got to where she is today! PS – Ashley is a BEAUTIFUL person inside and out!

Ashley (before)
Ashley (after)
Name: Ashley Johns

Age: 29

Height: 5’9’’

Weight: 149 lbs.






Fitness Achievements:
- Lost more than 40 lbs. & took control over my mind and my life
Bodybuilding.com transformation of the month (which you can read here:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/female-transformation-ashley-schutz.htm)
- Muscle & Strength transformation of the month
- Chosen as Bodybuilding.com model for Lift Life Ad Campaign, 2011
- Invited to be a part of the first ever Team Bodybuilding.com

- Getting my personal trainer certification; going from a personal banker to a personal trainer, never giving up despite hitting a major plateau, coming to find I have so many food allergies, and a sluggish thyroid. Always taking control and matters into my own hands
- Representing bodybuilding.com in Shape magazine, January and February 2011 issues
- Competed in Figure and Bikini Competitions

How and when did you get started with fitness?
In January 2009 I decided I could no longer live overweight (around 180 lbs.). I started working out and never stopped.

What keeps you motivated?
Always finding new information and educating myself! Motivating and inspiring myself to find new ways to be empowered to move forward and achieve more. Being a healthy role model always helps me push harder, too.

What does your diet look like?
I eat complex carbs in morning and around my workout and proteins throughout the entire day as well as healthy fats. I eat 5 times per day about every 3 hours. I have fruit in the morning and taper off by lunch. I drink tons of water - 2 gallons a day is always my goal. No processed foods, limited liquor & alcohol, and no sugars except fruit in the morning and sometimes as a snack.

Which supplements do you take?
I take Jack3d as a pre-workout drink when I need a boost as I am allergic to caffeine. I take BCAAs (Branch Chain Amino Acids), fish oil, and a multivitamin, too. I get my supplements all from bodybuilding.com of course! They ship super quickly!

What does your training program look like?
I do HIIT (high intensity interval training) 3-4 times per week and lift heavy 5 times per week. I switch up my program every 4-6 weeks. When I feel tired or unmotivated, I take a break for a week and come back refreshed. Rest is super important!! 
Who inspires you?
UK Fitness Model Kelly Rennie inspires me. We have been friends for a while and she has been there for me through many questions and is a genuinely beautiful, healthy woman I think the world of.
Kelly Rennie

Jennifer Nicole Lee (before)
Jennifer Nicole Lee (after)
Jennifer Nicole Lee also inspires me because she is a savvy businesswoman who took control of her life and makes big waves in the industry. Her story from overweight to where she is now is incredible. I met her at the Arnold (Arnold Sports Festival, which is the largest multi-sport event in the nation and named after Arnold Schwarzenegger). She is such a nice woman. 
What’s your favorite fitness website and why?
My favorite website is www.bodybuilding.com. I am forever grateful for BB for offering Transformations of the Week, which is how I kept motivated in the beginning of my journey. I’ve met others on BB’s Bodyspace, which is a great support system. 

Favorite quote?
“When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt. The reason I am where I am today is because of this mindset. Never give up!
Any fitness tips/advice for readers?

Educate yourself! Surround yourself with supportive people and steer clear of those who put you down. This is your life, take control, and remember that you can do anything you set your mind to. It's cliché, but the difference between wanting something and setting your mind on it are two completely different things. We all want health, love, and success, but until you work your ass off for it, it's just sitting there to be desired by most of the population. Get off your ass and make it happen!

Ashley - Photo Courtesy of fitoverfat.com

Ashley - Photo Courtesy of fitoverfat.com

1 comment: