Tuesday, July 26, 2011

How Have You Been Treating Your Workouts and Diet?


It's summertime and I've noticed I've become lax on my diet and have even skipped some workouts to go do other things instead. After all, living in Maine, summer lasts from June to September and of those months June is usually a wash out with rain and it starts cooling off by early- to mid-September. I am a summer person (I HATE winter with a passion). I enjoy my time at the beach as well as spending as much time outdoors as possible. Unfortunately, my diet and exercise sometimes suffer. I think I've gotten that out of my system in the past three weeks though.

I hit a funk and was only working out 3-4 times a week as opposed to the usual 6 times a week. My diet was actually pretty good during the week, but as soon as the weekends hit, I allowed myself one too many cheat meals and one too many Whipped vodka drinks. Mmmm, but who can resist? Well, I have to now. I have to get back on track and motivate myself to get to where I really want to be. If I don't, my body will suffer and in turn I'll feel like crap about myself and hide under sweatshirts and long pants. Who wants to live life that way? Not me!!

I think it helped not training as hard these past three weeks because it really gave my body time to recuperate and rest. I went into the gym tonight and trained shoulders and I was in beast mode - I killed it! I left the gym feeling so accomplished. I showed the weights who was boss tonight. Yeah buddy!!!!

First, I have to mention... I really was discouraged and didn't have any intentions of going to the gym after work (that's why I really need to get back into the routine of going in the mornings again). BUT I downed my Super Pump 250 and got the energy and motivation I needed. I showed up at World and the parking lot was FULL. Screw that! I drove over to Obie's instead. Thank God.

I started my warm up and then I got into it. I did 4 sets of 10-12 reps of seated dumbbell (DB) shoulder press. I made sure I chose a weight that I was struggling to get the last rep. I took about 30-45 seconds of rest in between each set. Then I superset 4 sets of 10-12 reps of the Arnold press and rear delt flye. My next exercise I superset 4 sets of 10-12 reps of lateral raise and alternating front raise. Finally, I did 4 heavy sets of 10 reps of the E-Z bar upright row.

In between the last three exercises, I would train my abs. I just did them all until failure - woodchop, decline sit up, russian twists, lemon squeezes, weighted crunch.

Finally, I moved on to HIIT cardio on the Arc Trainer. I put it to the highest level (10) and set the time for 20 minutes. At 17:30 I started my high intensity and just sprinted for 30 seconds. Back to low intensity for a full minute, then immediately to high intensity for another 30 seconds... I kept doing this until I hit the 2 minute mark. I stopped and cooled down. In only 20 minutes, I ended up burning 272 calories. Had I kept going at the low intensity pace for 30 minutes, I would have only burned about 300 calories, if that. I felt great! Awesome thing about HIIT is that even after I'm done my workout, I'm still burning fat and calories and will continue to do so into tomorrow. That's also another reason why I prefer HIIT to regular cardio.

My diet was ok today. I definitely did not drink nearly enough water and I didn't eat enough. I had tuna and two rice cakes, two cups of coffee with Stevia, chicken salad with eggs and cottage cheese and tomatoes and some light cheese and balsamic vinegar, almonds and gummy bears, protein shake post-workout, and about a cup of baked ziti with meat sauce. Definitely not ideal, but the morning started off on the wrong foot, so it threw my eating off. No excuses, I know! Tomorrow will be a much better day as far as diet goes.

All I know is that after tonight's workout, I feel amazing! I can't wait to hit the gym tomorrow morning with my trainer, Jamie. We'll be training legs! My other favorite body part train other than shoulders.

Get out there and train and eat well, and be sure to drink plenty of water!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment